XSTRAND™ Glass Fiber Filaments Now Available
Print Your Mind 3D is now carrying filaments from Owens Corning, a world leader in glass fiber composites, inculding their XSTRAND™ Nylon and Polypropylene
Key filament attributes:
- Reinforced PP and PA6 filament with 30% glass fiber
- Up to 250% stronger than ABS (Tensile Modulus (MPa) ISO 527)
- Designed for functional prototyping and industrial applications
- Excellent layer adhesion and reduced warping effect compare to neat materials
- Very stiff and strong materials
- Large operational temperature range -20°C to 120°C Good chemical and UV resistance
Learn more and order yours today:
|XSTRAND™ Glass Fiber Nylon Filament|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the optimal print temperature?
- PA - 240 - 260°C
- If using adhesive solution (packaging tape, HDPE bed, etc.), much lower in the range of 30-50°C
What are the applications for the material?
- Industrial usage including tools, fixtures, heavy duty replacement parts.
- Sport and leisure parts.
- Electronics and appliance parts, and many others.
How quickly does it degrade your hardened nozzle - e.g. how many grams printed before replacement?
- On the Ultimaker, we have 2,432 hours of successful prints with GF-30 PP and GF-30 PA6 using the same tool steel nozzle.
What is the difference in surface finish between the two XSTRAND™ GF-30 PP and GF-30 PA?
- The GF-30 PA6 feels a little rougher and the GF-30 PP is silkier.
How much temperature can the printed part handle? Wet or dry?
- This is linked to the Heat Temperature Deflection Test. We chose the highest ISO standard value at 1.8MPa and both materials standard specimen is handling 120°C in temperature. For this standard test, material are conditioned 48h at 23°C and 50% moisture air before the test. However, this is a general value that is totally dependent to the part geometry.
How is XSTRAND™ filaments different than carbon fiber filled PA or PP?
|Leading Brand of CF Reinforced PA6||Owens Corning Glass Fiber Nylon|
|Tensile Modulus||4387 MPa||7400 MPa|
|Tensile Strength||64 MPa||60 MPa|
|Heat Deflection Temperature||102°C
(at lowest pressure of 0.45 MPa)
(at lowest pressure of 1.8 MPa)
|Flexural Modulus||5650 MPa||6100 MPa|
|Flexural Strength||78 MPa||170 MPa|